Even with all the effort that you make to keep toxic things out of your pet’s mouth, nothing can make them get over their penchant for eating what they feel like. Dog owners will be familiar with their canine chomping on everything it can get its jaws around, while cats love destroying anything made out of plastic or wool.
Even plants don’t get off scot-free when it comes to pets and their eating habits! However, some plants can be toxic for your pet when ingested. Here are some plants to keep away from your pet:
- Aloe Vera should be kept away from both dogs and cats because it can cause vomiting, tremors, depression, anorexia, and diarrhea.
- Baby’s Breath might look like an innocent flower, but it can wreak havoc on your pet’s digestion. It leads to diarrhea and vomiting.
- Carnations might not be as poisonous as many other plants, but they will cause your pet some discomfort due to mild gastrointestinal disturbance and dermatitis.
- Gladiolas look beautiful in all kinds of floral arrangements. However, its underground bulb is very toxic to dogs and cats. It can result in a slobbering, vomiting, lethargic pet suffering from diarrhea.
- Lilies are extremely toxic for cats and kittens. In fact, the whole liliaceae family and its members are dangerous to felines. Ingesting even very small portions of certain types, such as Tiger, Japanese Show, Asian, Stargazer, Easter, and Casa Blanca can be very bad news and cause kidney failure. On the other hand, lilies won’t harm dogs.
If you are going to keep any of these species in your house, then try to ensure they remain behind a screen. If your pet can’t get to the plant, then they won’t end up eating them!